Sunday, April 4, 2010

Reading Response: The Critique Handbook

In your opinion, what do you think the role of the critique, as it's described in this chapter, could be in a class like ours?
The role of a critique is described as a daunting judgement day for art students and subjective. I feel like in our art class it is more relaxed and is constantly happening. When I am stuck with my work or just finished something and want an opinion I look to my peers and teachers to advise me and critique my work. It is not scary, just helpful. And as an artist, you can have selective hearing, and can pick and choose what to use from the advice you receive. Don't loose yourself in a critique though. You need to keep the work your own. Don't completely change your vision if someone else tells you to move in the opposite direction. It's all about having a balance.

According to this chapter and your past experiences, how can you get the most out of a critique of your own work?
articulate where I want to go with my unfinished piece, what I was trying to do, and what I want to do. My artist intentions. This way my peers can understand and interpret my work from the angle I was trying to get at. Also write things down. makes everything so much easy to remember. When you are getting a critique, there is so much feedback that it can be hard to remember it all.

How can you be a helpful participant in your classmates' critiques?
Give them my ideas. Be honest without being harsh. just saying "that's good," doesn't help. GIVE FEEDBACK. or point out specific details that worked. be specific, not broad and ambiguous.

No comments:

Post a Comment